College of Literature, Science and the Arts (University of Michigan) records, 1846-2018
Using These Materials
- Personnel Related Records -- Boxes 44, 371, 374, 386, 401, 474, 491, and online records Student Academic Records -- Boxes 304, 346-347, 355, 401, 491 Executive Officer Records -- Boxes 388,...
- University of Michigan. College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.
- Founded in 1841, the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA) is the liberal arts college of the University of Michigan, encompassing over 100 academic departments and non-departmental centers, programs, institutes, museums, and laboratories. The record group includes correspondence, meeting minutes, memoranda, reports, proposals, subject files, and program materials from the administrative offices of the dean and the academic units that make up the college.
549.4 linear feet (in 550 boxes)
3 oversize volumes
123.93 GB (online)
1 archived website
- Call Number:
- 8779 Bimu C22 2
- Finding aid created by Bentley Historical Library Staff. Periodically updated, including by Elizabeth Hannigan, 2019 and Steven Gentry, 2021.
- Scope and Content:
The records of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA) of the University of Michigan date from 1846 with the first meeting of the literary college's faculty. They now span more than a century and a half and comprise 549.4 linear feet (in 550 boxes), 3 volumes, and 169.9 GB of minutes, correspondence, memoranda, reports, and subject files detailing the activities of the college from its early beginnings in the mid-nineteenth century to its present status as the largest of the university's colleges.
The administrative records of the college have come to the library in six major accessions beginning in 1942 with small periodic accessions thereafter. In addition, the college has periodically deposited bound record copies of the minute books of the meetings of the LSA faculty. Covering the years 1846 to 2007, the minute books (oversize volumes, boxes 204 to 209, and box 388) are the most important source of information about the college, especially for the period before World War I because few other extant records document the activities of the university's liberal arts college.
- Biographical / Historical:
The College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA or LS&A) commenced classes at the University of Michigan in 1841 as the Department of LSA. The faculty consisted of two professors, the Reverend George P. Williams and the Reverend Joseph Whiting. Together they offered study in rhetoric, grammar, Latin and Greek literature and antiquities, algebra, geometry, surveying, natural science, ancient history, and Greek philosophy. Enrollment was seven; a decade later, it stood at 57 and the faculty at six.
University President Henry Tappan (1852-1863) endeavored to create a university based on the Prussian model, with the sciences and humanities combined in one school. Innovations undertaken by Tappan included introducing a Bachelor of Science degree as an alternative to the traditional Bachelor of Arts degree and providing the opportunity for students to elect courses during their senior year. Professorships in zoology, moral and intellectual philosophy, chemistry and logic, rhetoric, and history were added in the 1850s.
The 1860s continued to see a rise in enrollment. In 1870, women enrolled in the University of Michigan for the first time. By June of 1871, 14 women had entered LSA. President James B. Angell, who served as president from 1871 to 1909, continued to refine the curriculum based on the Prussian model as originally introduced by Tappan. By the 1878/79 academic year, LSA seniors could elect half their courses. In addition, Angell introduced graduation requirements based on credits: 24 courses were required to earn a bachelor of arts, and 26 were required to earn a Bachelor of Philosophy, Bachelor of Science, or a Bachelor of Letters. The Bachelor of Letters degree was introduced in 1878.
Graduate work was introduced in LSA by President Tappan, under the title "university courses." Students were able to receive a master's degree or doctorate by engaging in two or three years of post-graduate work and completing exams. In 1912, a graduate department at the University of Michigan was created as an administrative unit separate from LSA. This unit would later be known as the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies.
An education curriculum was added to LSA in 1879, when a chair in the science and art of teaching was established. Speech and oratory were introduced to the curriculum in 1884 and LSA established the first department of speech in the United States in 1892.
From 1841 to 1874 the LSA faculty elected a president to oversee the department. Henry S. Frieze was elected the first dean of LSA in 1875, a post in which he served until 1889, excluding the two years he spent as acting president of the university. Martin L. D'Ooge was the first officially appointed dean of LSA; he was elected by the faculty and his appointment was also approved by the Regents. In the very early years of the school, administrative functions were handled by the university president's office. Even after the official appointment of D'Ooge, the dean was, in effect, an assistant to the president in matters pertaining to LSA, and mostly concentrated on admissions.
Richard Hudson succeeded D'Ooge as dean in 1897. Hudson was the first dean appointed by the Board of Regents without requiring faculty approval. As LSA grew, President Angell gave up his active participation in its affairs, retaining only his position as presiding officer at faculty meetings. When John O. Reed became dean in 1907 the administration of LSA rested completely with the dean. By 1921, an assistant dean was appointed to help in administrative functions.
Graduation requirements were modified in 1912. These new requirements, like those of the 1878/79 academic year, pointed the way toward the present college curriculum. Students were required to take 12 credits in three different academic groupings (later known as distribution requirements) for a complete undergraduate education. For the first time, 120 credit hours were required to graduate and letter grades were established.
The Department of LSA became the College of LSA on January 1, 1916. In the twentieth century, many departments that originated in the College of LSA became autonomous schools, including the Department of Forestry in 1903, the School of Business Administration in 1924, and the School of Education in 1921. In 1923, the Department of Geology divided into the Geology and Geography Departments. In 1926, a Department of Library Science was added. A Department of Anthropology was initiated in 1928. One year later the Department of Philosophy separated into two departments—Philosophy and Psychology—and a Department of Journalism was added. In 1931, the Department of Economics and Sociology also divided. Honors courses were first introduced in 1925, providing qualified students with concentrated study in English and history.
Significant changes in LSA occurred during 1931, with the introduction of a program of concentrated study. The first two years of study focused on a liberal arts education, while the last two years were spent in concentrated study for the specific degree program that was chosen. These changes resulted in a need for academic counseling, given the continued expansion in courses and fields of study. Under the administration of the dean, the college created counseling services for underclassmen and departments took on counseling of students in their upper-class specialization.
Upon the death of Dean John R. Effinger in 1933, who had served since 1912, the administration of LSA was restructured. A temporary executive committee of five faculty members was appointed to perform administrative functions. In September 1933 the regents approved a college reorganization which allowed for the dean to be assisted by an executive committee of six members appointed by the president from a panel selected by the LS&A faculty. The executive committee was charged with investigating and formulating educational and instructional policies for consideration by the faculty and acting for the college in matters of budget, promotion, and appointment.
During Dean Edward Kraus' tenure (1933-1945) a system of faculty evaluations proposed by the local chapter of the American Association of University Professors was adopted. The evaluations included an annual record of each faculty member's publications, student comments on the professor's teaching, and a report on each individual faculty member's professional competence by departmental committees.
In 1940 LSA boasted 4,895 students and over 300 faculty members, a far cry from the original seven students and two instructors of a century earlier. LSA also taught 60% of the total educational load at the University of Michigan in 1940.
With the appointment of Dean Hayward Keniston in 1945, an attempt was made to improve faculty morale, to continue to maintain an outstanding faculty, and to create higher standards for both teaching and research. An increase in faculty salaries of 20% to 25% was approved by the regents. Other matters of concern to LSA administrators were obtaining more research space and better equipment. Dean Keniston also undertook the job of accommodating the returning veterans from World War II. A committee examined curriculum revisions to meet the needs of the more mature students and consulted with experts and other academic institutions to help in planning for their enrollment. Recommendations included reorganizing the art and archaeology departments, combining the Greek and Latin departments into a classics department, and developing five year plans for each department. Administratively, two associate deans were appointed to handle problems of counseling, curriculum, and personnel.
In 1948, the faculty adopted guidelines on evaluation for promotion. The three criteria adopted were teaching, scholarship, and service, especially student counseling. The year 1949 saw greater cooperation between departments to encourage interdisciplinary work. Department loyalty had sometimes mitigated against the success of some of the innovative interdisciplinary programs introduced after the war, including great books, linguistics, and several five-year plans of study such as chemistry and civil engineering. Departments were also opened up administratively with the elimination of department heads and the introduction of chairs, who were appointed for specified terms.
During Dean Odegaard's tenure (1952-1958), enrollment increased by 34% as LSA generated 53% of the credit hours on the Ann Arbor campus. Research was fostered by integrating museums and the Institute for Social Research into the college departments that best suited their disciplines. The undergraduate library was also established, enhancing the undergraduate learning experience.
In 1964, a long range planning committee was formed to study the future of the college. LSA continued to grow faster than the university at large. In 1965, a computer and communications science department was established. In 1968, the creation of a Department of Statistics was approved and the Department of Library Science became a professional school separate from LSA.
In the 1970s many new educational concepts were introduced to meet student demands to control their own education. The Residential College (RC), originally established in 1967, took on a larger role in LSA. The RC is a four-year degree-granting college within the College of LSA, devoted exclusively to undergraduate education. It was conceived as a small college with enrollment not to exceed 1,200 students to help combat the impersonality of a college as large as LSA. The original concept called for educational innovation and interdisciplinary studies to be taught in a mixture of small seminars, large lectures, independent study, and frequent meetings with faculty.
Another innovation was the creation of a Bachelor of General Studies program in which students could tailor their own educational program. Undergraduate education was also enhanced by the introduction of the Course Mart curriculum, designed to overcome the rigidity of the traditional departmental curriculum by creating courses not available elsewhere in the university. Other innovations included peer counseling, more interdisciplinary courses, and mini courses offered for one credit. While some of these innovations continue to be active, Course Mart and mini-courses have slowly lost the interest of students over the years. Much of the decline in interest was attributed to greater flexibility within academic departments to offer different courses and to an increase in interdisciplinary studies. New interdisciplinary programs created included the Women's Studies Program (1973), the Program in Film and Video Studies (1975), and the American Institutes Program (1983), which later became the Program in American Culture.
Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, an emphasis was placed on recruitment and retention of students and faculty of color. Enrollment of students of color stood at ten percent in 1971, an increase over previous years. One program to increase enrollment was the Opportunity Program, organized in 1963 to provide scholarships and support services for disadvantaged students. The Center for Afro-American and African Studies was established in 1970, in response to student demands.
Two issues of concern to LSA administration in the 1970s were increasing class size caused by budget constraints and the increasing use of graduate student teaching assistants. At times up to 40% of underclass instruction was provided by teaching assistants. Freshman seminars, small courses taught by faculty members, were introduced in 1976. Unfortunately they were unable to reach a majority of new students.
A major area of concern to faculty within LSA is the tension between research and teaching. Incentives have been added to improve the quality of teaching, such as university wide teaching awards.
From the mid-1970s and into the 1980s, the college faced budget difficulties. At times, freezes were put on faculty hiring and both long term and short term planning became critical in order to prioritize allocation of available resources. A main concern for the LSA administration was keeping pace with faculty salaries at peer institutions in order to retain and strengthen the faculty. Due to resource reallocation, the Department of Geography was eliminated in 1982. An LSA Office of College Development was established to coordinate fundraising in 1978. Also, a greater emphasis was placed on obtaining funds through research grants. Between 1979/80 and 1983/84, sponsored research in the social and natural sciences increased 56%.
Undergraduate education in LSA underwent a transformation in the early 1990s. The Undergraduate Initiative was developed and designed with the goal of improving and advancing the quality of the undergraduate experience. Class sizes were reduced, residential learning communities were developed, and introductory courses were revamped. New initiatives included Theme Semesters, which brought together faculty and students from a variety of disciplines around a significant topic, and the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), which enabled students to work with professors on original research projects.
The Office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education was established in circa 1990-1991. Prior to its establishment, many of its functions were handled through other LSA offices such as the Office of the Associate Dean for Long Range Planning. Jack W. Meiland, who had headed the Office of the Associate Dean for Long Range Planning from 1983-1990, served as the new office's inaugural associate dean from 1990-1992. He was succeeded in this role by Michael M. Martin (1991-1995), Lincoln B. Faller (1995-1998), Robert M. Owen (1998-2004), Robert E. Megginson (2004-2010), Philip J. Deloria (2010-2015), Angela D. Dillard (2015-2019), and Timothy A. McKay (2019-ongoing).
The residential learning communities became known as Michigan Learning Communities. The first ones established were the Pilot Program and the Residential College in the 1960's. However, during the 1990's additional Living-Learning Communities were developed to foster learning in the context of smaller communities within a growing university. Some of the programs included the Invention and Creativity Program in Bursley Hall, the 21st Century Program at Mary Markley Hall, the Society and Health Program in Couzens Hall, the Lloyd Hall Scholars Program in Alice Lloyd Hall. Also included among the programs are the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), Science and Mathematics, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), Gender and Leadership, Democracy and Diversity, Residential College, and the Honors Program at Mosher-Jordan Hall, Barbour-Newberry, Stockwell Hall, South and East Quadrangle.
In the year 2001, the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, one of the largest liberal arts colleges in the United States, was comprised of more than 104 academic programs and six museums.
In 2017, the University of Michigan recognized its 200-year anniversary with a special Bicentennial Year celebration. The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts featured Bicentennial themed courses, lectures, speakers, exhibits, and other special events to mark the occasion. Topics focused on the history of the University of Michigan, important scholarly discoveries at the university, and the impact the university has had on Michigan and the world.
As of 2021, the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is the largest of the University of Michigan's 19 schools, consisting of over 100 departments and units. It offers dozens of majors, sub-majors, and minors via numerous academic departments and programs, and over 1,000 faculty educated more than 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 2020. Several different degrees are awarded by LSA, including the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, and Bachelor in General Studies. Several departments and units also offer a master and/or doctoral program.
Structurally, the college is led by the Dean. Numerous other offices report to the Office of the Dean, including the Office of Faculty Academic Affairs, LSA Office of Facilities and Operations, LSA DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Office, LSA Office of Graduate Education, and the Office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education. The staff of the Office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education support several LSA pedagogical efforts, including various seminars, Third Year Review workshops, and the LSA Theme semesters. This office also assists with periodic reviews of various LSA units, as well as particular curricular components like Race and Ethnicity (R&E) initiatives. The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education also oversees more than twenty centers, programs, and related units that comprise the Division of Undergraduate Education. These units focus on different learning opportunities and programs and include the Residential College (RC), Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), English Language Institute (ELI), and LSA Student Academic Affairs. Also housed within this division are numerous awards for undergraduate teaching, including the Matthews Underclass Teaching Award and the Class of 1923 Memorial Teaching Award.
Deans of the Faculty of LSA Date Event 1875-1880 Henry Frieze 1880-1881 Charles K. Adams 1881-1882 Edward Olney 1882-1889 Henry Frieze Deans of the Department of LSA Date Event 1890-1897 Martin D'Ooge 1897-1907 Richard Hudson 1907-1914 John O. Reed 1912-1915 John R. Effinger (acting) Deans of the College of LSA Date Event 1915-1933 John R. Effinger 1933-1945 Edward H. Kraus 1945-1951 Hayward Keniston 1951-1952 Burton D. Thuma (acting) 1952-1958 Charles E. Odegaard 1958-1962 Roger W. Heyns 1962-1963 Burton D. Thuma (acting) 1963-1968 William Haber 1968-1970 William L. Hays 1970-1971 Alfred S. Sussman (acting) 1971-1974 Frank H.T. Rhodes 1974-1976 B.E. Frye (acting) 1976-1980 B.E. Frye 1980-1981 John R. Knott (acting) 1981-1989 Peter O. Steiner 1989-1998 Edie Goldenberg 1998-1999 Patricia Gurin (acting) 1999-2002 Shirley Neuman 2002-2003 Terrence J. McDonald (acting) 2003-2013 Terrence J. McDonald 2013-2014 Susan A. Gelman (interim) 2014-2018 Andrew D. Martin 2018-2019 Elizabeth R. Cole (acting) 2019- Ann Curzan
- Acquisition Information:
- The record group (donor no. 1665 ) has been received in various installments since 1942.
- Processing information:
Boxes 66, 318, and 320-326 were eliminated during reprocessing.
While processing the digital portion of the 1991-1997 file within the General Files subseries of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education series, most of the individual files' modified date information were changed.
The records are organized into 17 series: 1. Dean's Files. 2. LSA Administrative Board. 3. Faculty Meeting Minutes. 4. Executive Committee. 5. Dean's Conference. 6. Student Records. 7. Reports and Committee Files. 8. Departmental Evaluating Committee. 9. Photographs. 10. Administrative Files. 11. Associate Dean for Research and Facilities. 12. Reports and Reviews. 13. Senior Staff Meetings. 14. Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education. 15. LSA Development. 16. Archived College of LSA Websites. 17. Bicentennial Year Programs and Related Theme Semesters.Summary Contents List
- DEAN'S FILES
- 1916-1932 -- Boxes 1-33
- circa 1911-1933 -- Boxes 34-37
- Association of American Universities -- Boxes 38-39
- 1933-1936 -- Boxes 40-42
- 1936-1937 -- Boxes 43-44, 200
- 1937-1940 -- Boxes 44-51
- 1940-1942 -- Boxes 51-57
- 1942-1943 -- Boxes 57-60
- 1943-1944 -- Boxes 60-63
- Administrative Information Sheets on Faculty Activities, (by department) – Boxes 63-64
- 1944-1945 -- Boxes 67-69
- 1945-1946 -- Boxes 70-73
- 1946-1947 -- Boxes 73-77
- 1947-1948 -- Boxes 77-79
- 1948-1949 -- Boxes 80-82
- 1949-1950 -- Boxes 82-85
- 1950-1951 -- Boxes 86-89
- 1951-1952 -- Boxes 89-91
- 1952-1953 -- Boxes 91-95
- 1953-1954 -- Boxes 95-99
- 1954-1955 -- Boxes 99-103
- 1955-1956 -- Boxes 103-108
- 1956-1957 -- Boxes 108-113
- 1957-1958 -- Boxes 113-118
- 1958-1959 -- Boxes 118-122
- 1959-1960 -- Boxes 123-128
- 1960-1961 -- Boxes 128-133
- 1961-1962 -- Boxes 133-137
- 1962-1963 -- Boxes 137-141
- 1963-1964 -- Boxes 141-145
- 1964-1965 -- Boxes 145-150
- 1965-1966 -- Boxes 150-156
- 1966-1967 -- Boxes 156-162
- 1967-1968 -- Boxes 162-169
- 1968-1969 -- Boxes 169-175
- 1969-1970 -- Boxes 175-181
- 1970-1971 -- Boxes 181-186
- Miscellaneous multiple year files (1971 and before) -- Boxes 187-199
- 1968-1973 – Boxes 201-203
- 1971-1972 -- Boxes 210-215
- 1972-1973 -- Boxes 216-227
- 1973-1974 -- Boxes 227-237
- 1974-1975 -- Boxes 237-248
- 1975-1976 -- Boxes 248-260
- 1976-1977 -- Boxes 260-271
- 1977-1978 -- Boxes 271-282
- 1978-1979 -- Boxes 282-288
- 1979-1980 -- Boxes 288-295
- 1980-1981 -- Boxes 305-311
- 1981-1982 -- Boxes 312-317
- 1982-1983 -- Boxes 327-330
- 1983-1984 -- Boxes 330-333
- 1984-1985 -- Boxes 336-339
- 1985-1986 -- Boxes 339-342
- 1986-1987 -- Boxes 342-347
- 1987-1988 -- Boxes 356-357
- 1988-1990 -- Boxes 357-366
- 1989-1998 -- Boxes 366-375
- 1997-1999 -- Boxes 389-400
- 1990-1991 – Boxes 395-397, 401
- 1991-1992 – Boxes 398-401
- 1992-1993 -- Boxes 402-404
- 1993-1994 -- Boxes 404-406
- 1994-1995 -- Boxes 406-409
- 1995-1996 -- Boxes 409-412
- 1996-1997 -- Boxes 412-414
- 1997-1998 -- Boxes 414-417
- 1998-1999 -- Boxes 417-419
- 1999-2000 -- Boxes 420-428
- 2000-2001 -- Boxes 428-436
- 2001-2002 -- Boxes 436-444
- Neuman, Shirley, 1999-2002 - Box 444
- Reports and Reviews, 1973-1991 - Boxes 445-446
- Subject Files, 1982-1999 - Boxes 446-448, 474
- 2002-2003 -- Boxes 475-483
- 2003-2004 -- Boxes 483-490
- 2004-2005 -- Boxes 492-498
- 2005-2006 -- Boxes 498-503
- 2006-2007 -- Boxes 504-509
- 2007-2008 -- Boxes 509-518
- 2008-2009 -- Boxes 519-527
- 2006-2015 -- online
- 2015-2016 -- online
- 2016-2017 -- online
- 2017-2018 -- online
- LSA ADMINISTRATIVE BOARD
- LSA Administrative Board -- Box 65
- FACULTY MEETING MINUTES
- Minutes, 1846-1993 -- Boxes 204-209 and oversize volumes
- Minutes, 1993-2007 -- Box 388
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Meeting Minutes -- Boxes 296-303, 387, 449-451, and online
- Agenda books, 1960-1963 -- Boxes 194-195
- DEAN's CONFERENCE
- Meeting Minutes -- Box 303
- STUDENT RECORDS
- Restricted Student Records -- Box 304
- REPORTS AND COMMITTEE FILES
- 1943-1944, 1954-1961 -- Box 319
- DEPARTMENTAL EVALUATING COMMITTEE
- 1949 -- Box 334
- Photographs -- Box 334
- ADMINISTRATIVE FILES
- 1923, circa 1933-1990 -- Boxes 346, 348-354
- 1942-1997 -- Boxes 375-378
- ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR RESEARCH AND FACILITIES
- General Files -- Boxes 378-380, 535-557
- Central Committee on the Undergraduate Experience -- Box 558
- REPORTS AND REVIEWS
- 1972-1996 -- Boxes 381-386
- 1973-1991 -- Boxes 445-446
- SENIOR STAFF MEETINGS
- 1990-1999 -- Box 388
- ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION
- Curriculum Committee Minutes -- Boxes 452-453, 530-533
- Curriculum Files -- Boxes 453- 460
- Martin, Michael -- Boxes 472-473
- Joint Faculty-Student Policy Committee -- Box 515 - 517
- General Files -- Boxes 460-472, 474, 517-518, 527-530, 534, online
- LSA DEVELOPMENT
- Development Fund Scrapbooks -- Boxes 515-516
- ARCHIVED WEBSITE
- 2002,2003, on CD -- Box CD-2
- 2010-, online
- BICENTENNIAL YEAR PROGRAMS AND RELATED THEME SEMESTERS
- Time Capsule Project -- Box 559, online
- DEAN'S FILES
Periodic additions to the records expected.
- Rules or Conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Additional Descriptive Data:
For related materials--including various serials and web archives--consult the University of Michigan's online library catalog. These related materials include the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (University of Michigan) publications.
Click on terms below to find any related finding aids on this site.
College student government -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
Universities and colleges -- Departments -- Evaluations.
College teachers -- Tenure -- Michigan -- Ann Arbor.
Digital file formats.
University of Michigan -- Administration.
University of Michigan. College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.
College of Literature, Science and the Arts Student Government (University of Michigan)
Frye, B. E. (Billy Eugene)
Rhodes, Frank Harold Trevor.
Steiner, Peter Otto, 1922-
Effinger, John R. (John Robert), 1869-1933.
Frost, Robert, 1874-1963.
Goldenberg, Edie N.
Haber, William, 1899-1988.
Hays, William L. (William Lee), 1926-1995.
Heyns, Roger W. (Roger William), 1918-1995.
Keniston, Hayward, 1883-
Kraus, Edward Henry, 1875-1973.
Leopold, Nathan Freudenthal, 1904-1971.
Martin, Andrew D., 1972-
McDonald, Terrence J.
Neuman, S. C. (Shirley C.)
Odegaard, Charles E.
Sussman, Alfred S.
Using These Materials
- Personnel Related Records -- Boxes 44, 371, 374, 386, 401, 474, 491, and online records
- Student Academic Records -- Boxes 304, 346-347, 355, 401, 491
- Executive Officer Records -- Boxes 388, 450-451, 474-490, 492-515, 517-530, 534-545, 550-553, 555-557, and online records
- Patient/Client Records -- Box 559 and online records
Access Restrictions for University of Michigan Records
University records are public records and once fully processed are generally open to research use. Records that contain personally identifiable information will be restricted in order to protect individual privacy. Certain administrative records are restricted in accordance with university policy as outlined below. The restriction of university records is subject to compliance with applicable laws, including the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
Categories of Restricted Records
- Personnel-related files, including search, review, promotion, and tenure files, are restricted for thirty (30) years from the date of their creation.
- Student educational records: FERPA's protection of personally identifiable information in a student's education records ends at the time of a student's death and therefore is a matter of institutional policy. As a courtesy to the families of recently deceased students who were enrolled at the time of death, the University generally will not release information from their education records for five years without the consent of the deceased student's next of kin. Eighty-five (85) years after the date the records were first created, the University will presume that the student is deceased. Thereafter the student's education records will be open. Student records at the Bentley Historical Library are restricted for eighty-five (85) years, but may also be made available upon proof of the death of the student.
- Executive records: Records generated by the university's executive officers, deans, directors, department heads, and their designated support staff are restricted for twenty (20) years from the date of their creation.
Restricted files are indicated in the contents list of the collection’s finding aid with a restriction note indicating the restriction type and the date of expiration.
For further information on the restriction policy and placing Freedom of Information Act requests for restricted material, consult the reference archivist at the Bentley Historical Library (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the University of Michigan Freedom of Information Office website (https://foia.vpcomm.umich.edu/).
- USE & PERMISSIONS:
Copyright is held by the Regents of the University of Michigan but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
- PREFERRED CITATION:
[item], folder, box, College of Literature, Science and the Arts (University of Michigan) records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
[item], [URL], College of Literature, Science and the Arts (University of Michigan) records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan