Established as Department of Library Science; name later changed to School of Library Science, then School of Information and Library Studies. Materials relating to the teaching of library science at the university, including summer session and departmental files; administrative files of T. W. Koch, William W. Bishop, Rudolph H. Gjelsness, Wallace Bonk, Russell Bidlack, and Robert M. Warner; course materials and topical files; accreditation records, faculty minutes and photographs.
The records of the School of Information (formerly the School of Library Science and most recently the School of Information and Library Studies) include 51 linear feet of material dated between 1904 to 2014. The records document the development library education at Michigan from its beginnings as summer course to a full-fledged professional program that has, in recent years moved beyond traditional library science to incorporate a multi-disciplinary approach to information studies with a strong emphasis on the role of technology in the creation, dissemination and preservation of information.The records also document the decision to change the name of the school from the School of Library and Information Science to the School of Information Science, further emphasizing a focus on information and technology.
The records, including correspondence, reports, committee minutes, administrative files and course descriptions, came to the library in nine accessions. There is some overlap and continuation of series among the accessions.
The records are organized into ten series: Histories, Office Files, Dean's Files, Audiotapes, Photographs, Faculty Meetings, Course Material, Archived School of Information Website, Faculty Files, and Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work Project.