The Department of History is an academic department within the University of Michigan established in 1845. The department was originally part of the School of Political Science but separated in 1910 and became a separate department within the College of Literature, Science, and Arts. The collection ranges from 1884 to 2011 with the bulk of the material from the 1970s and the 1980s. The records contain information on administrative matters and operations within the department, including correspondence, memos, meeting minutes, committee information, faculty information, and student affairs.
The University of Michigan Department of History records contain a large range of documentation regarding the operation, administration, statistics, faculty, and proceedings of the department. The bulk of the collection originally arrived at the Bentley in 1988 and a large addition was made in 2012. The collection spans from 1884 to 2017, however, the bulk of the content dates between 1970 and 1990. The collection is divided into fifteen series: Awards, College of LSA, Committees, Correspondence, Department, Faculty, Finances, General, Graduate Program, International Relations, Lecture Series, Partner Institutions, Programs, Publications, Student Affairs, and University of Michigan.