Back to top

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Formats Slides. Remove constraint Formats: Slides.
Number of results to display per page
View results as:

Search Results


Washtenaw County Historical Society records, 1827-2014

17.5 linear feet (in 18 boxes) — 1 oversize folder (UBPl)

Local historical society for Washtenaw County, Michigan Organizational records and collected historical materials.

The Washtenaw County Historical Society records include collected historical documents and photographs relating to the people, events, and history of the county, its cities and townships. There are also administrative records of the organization, including minutes of meetings, subjects relating to Society programs and projects, and financial miscellanea.


Delta Sigma Delta records, 1882-2021 (majority within 1882-1982)

49 linear feet (in 45 boxes)

National dental fraternity founded at University of Michigan. Constitution and by-laws, minutes, financial records, fraternity newsletter, memorabilia and artifacts, textbooks, citations and plaques, photographs, and miscellaneous manuscripts.

The records of Delta Sigma Delta provide an interesting view into the organization of a professional fraternity, and into the activities and personalities of those individuals drawn to such a social organization. Because it is such a visual collection, with many photographs, scrapbooks, and artefactual items, the Delta Sigma Delta collection provides a varied source of information about the affairs of a distinguished professional fraternity.

The Delta Sigma Delta collection includes both the records of the fraternity as well as related materials collected over the years by fraternity historian, Dr. Frank O. Clifford, and as such, there is a wide diversity of materials spanning more than a century of activity, 1882 to 1992.

The records of Delta Sigma Delta, at the request of the fraternity, are divided between those records stored archivally and other materials on display in the Delta Sigma Delta Room of the library. This finding aid will describe both sets of records with indications where they might be found.


Michigan Union records, 1884-1996 (majority within 1904-1995)

23 linear feet — 13 oversize volumes — 1 oversize folder

University of Michigan student organization formed to build and manage a student union, sponsors a variety of social and service programs and activities, includes records of building and financial committees and various activity/organization files including the University Mimes and the Union Opera (later renamed MUSKET) and scrapbooks and photographs of Union activities.

The records of the Michigan Union measure 21 linear feet and 13 oversize volumes. The records date from 1890 to 1983, although there are some collected photographs dating as early as 1884. The collection has been divided into six series: Central Files, Activity/Organization Files, General Files, Photographs, Songs, and Board of Representatives.


School for Environment and Sustainability (University of Michigan) records, 1903 - 2012

75 linear feet — 1 oversize box — 1 oversize folder — 1 oversize volume — 989 MB

Academic unit of the University of Michigan established in 1903 as the Department of Forestry. Records include dean's administrative files, correspondence, minutes, reports and photographs documenting the administration of the school as well as classroom and field activities.

The School of Natural Resources records comprise 54 linear feet and span a wide range of years from 1903 to 1994. The records document the internal activities of the school, both administrative and academic; the role of the school as a unit of the University of Michigan; and curricular changes and the development of new academic programs over the years.


Office of Undergraduate Admissions (University of Michigan) records, 1911-2022, undated (majority within 1965-2005)

17.85 linear feet (in 20 boxes) — 2 digital files (online)

University of Michigan unit responsible for admitting applicants to the university's various undergraduate programs. Includes the correspondence and topical files of former Director Ted Spencer and Associate Director Marilyn McKinney, Board of Admissions meeting minutes, admissions guidelines and related material, minutes and data of the Enrollment Working Group, and audiovisual and photographic material. Also included are numerous publications produced or collected by the office, such as newsletters, reports, brochures, and procedures.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions (University of Michigan) records documents the activities of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, particularly its leadership and outreach activities. Material is dated from 1911-2022 and includes the correspondence and topical files of former Director Ted Spencer and Associate Director Marilyn McKinney, Board of Admissions meeting minutes, admissions guidelines and related material for various university units, minutes and data associated with the Enrollment Working Group, and audiovisual and photographic material. Also included are numerous publications produced or collected by the office, including newsletters, reports, brochures, administrative materials, applications, information on recruitment programs, transfer and application guides, recruiting videotapes, and admissions data reports aimed at prospective students, admitted students, transfer students, international students, high school guidance counselors, as well as faculty and staff.


George H. Forsyth papers, 1912-2015 (majority within 1920-1999)

18.25 linear feet (in 24 boxes) — 68.2 MB — 10 oversize folders — 1 tube

George H. Forsyth (1901-1991) was an eminent archeologist, architectural, and art historian who led archeological expeditions to Angers, France, Mount Sinai, Egypt, and countries in the Near East including Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. Forsyth was a professor at the University of Michigan, chairman of the History of Art Department and director of the Kelsey Museum. Ilene H. Forsyth, who continued George's publishing activities posthumously, was an art historian and professor at the University of Michigan. The collection is comprised of personal materials, teaching materials, and extensive documentation of George's personal travel and archeological expeditions to Europe and the Near East such as correspondence, field notes, and visual materials.

The George H. Forsyth papers document Forsyth's career. The collection includes personal materials, biographical information, daybooks, family photographs, teaching and lecture notes, and extensive documentation of George's personal travel and archeological expeditions to Europe and the Near East. Material related to expeditions includes field notebooks, photographs, negatives, architectural drawings, correspondence, and manuscripts of various publication activities.

George Forsyth died prior to completing the publication of his landmark drawings of Saint Catherine's Monastery (Mount Sinai, Egypt). Publication efforts were continued posthumously by his wife, Dr. Ilene H. Forsyth, an art historian and professor at the University of Michigan. Her extensive efforts to publish George's work are documented is approximately three linear feet of manuscripts, correspondence, topical files, and a catalog of drawings, 1995-1997, located in Box 9.


Stephen M. Ross School of Business (University of Michigan) records, 1916-2017

143.2 linear feet (145 boxes) — 154.33 GB (online) — 21 oversize items — 1 archived website

Dean's files of R. A. Stevenson, 1944-1960, with some earlier files of deans Edmund E. Day and Clare E. Griffin; dean's files of Floyd A. Bond primarily 1960-1979, but including earlier and later materials; administrative records concerning faculty matters, alumni activities, students, course offerings, conferences, and programs sponsored by the school, and the operation and construction of the school's building; records relating to special bureaus within the school, particularly the Bureau of Business Research, the Bureau of Hospital Administration, and the Bureau of Industrial Relations; miscellaneous files of Stevenson, including University of Minnesota records, speeches, and board of directors materials from Lear, Incorporated; miscellaneous personal files of Floyd Bond concerning other organizational activities; audiovisual material including photographs and negatives of faculty, conferences and meetings, buildings, and school functions; dean's files of Gilbert A. Whitaker, 1925-1991; architectural records; the Ross School of Business website, 1996-ongoing; and records of Development and Alumni Relations, primarily created by Frank C. Wihelme, including committee meeting material, information related to capital campaigns, and records of the William Davison Institute.

The records of the Ross School of Business (1916-2017), measure 143.2 linear feet, 154.33 GB, 21 oversize items, and 1 archived website. Materials include papers from deans of the business school, committee documents, The records also include audiovisual materials including photographs, slides, videos and sound recordings.

The Ross School of Business (University of Michigan) records documents the administration and operation of the Business School; its organizational structure; news and events; people including deans, faculty, and staff; educational program; fundraising and development; and physical spaces. The records include administrative records of committees, correspondence, topical files, audiovisual material such as photographs and audiotapes, architectural drawings, and the School's website.


Middle English Dictionary records, 1925-2008

68 linear feet (in 98 boxes) — 1 item — 1.5 GB (online)

The Middle English Dictionary (MED) is a comprehensive dictionary of the English language as it was used between 1100 and 1500. The MED was in production at the University of Michigan from 1930 to 2001. The collection contains correspondence of the chief editors, administrative records, files on editorial matters, and miscellaneous files and production material.

In August of 2001 the administrative records and most of the materials pertaining to the history and making of the Middle English Dictionary (MED) from its beginnings at the University of Michigan in 1930 up to its completion in 2001 were deposited in the Bentley Historical Library by the project and by the administrative unit responsible for it, the Office of the Vice President for Research. These materials consist primarily of correspondence, administrative records (including budget), files on editorial matters, and miscellaneous files and notes on other matters. In February of 2010 the remainder of the MED materials was transferred to the Bentley Library from the Buhr Storage Facility, where they had been kept since the fall of 2001, along with the books from the former MED library (now dispersed), under the supervision of the Special Collections Library. All of these materials form a collection separate from the citation slips used in the printed MED (along with the supplementary slips), which are now catalogued as Middle English Dictionary Citation Slips. The total number of boxes in the present collection is 98 (of various sizes), amounting to 68 linear feet.

The Middle English Dictionary records are organized in three major subgroups, RECORDS BY EDITORIAL ERA, MISCELLANEOUS MED MATERIALS, and NON-MED MATERIALS.

In the first 20 boxes (21 linear feet) the materials are in standard-size boxes in 8 1/2" x 14" folders and are arranged strictly chronologically by the editorial eras of the chief editors: Samuel Moore (1930-1934), Thomas A. Knott (1935-1945), Hans Kurath (1946-1961), Sherman M. Kuhn (1961-1983), and Robert E. Lewis (1982-2001), except that the Moore and Knott eras have been combined because of the difficulty of separating the files, other than correspondence, in those two eras. In the later MED boxes (21 through 78), the materials are stored in a mixture of formats (8 1/2" x 14" folders, 6 1/2" x 9" cards, 3" x 5" cards and slips, etc.), and the organization is topical, though still generally chronological. Non- MED materials (specifically, the Early Modern English Dictionary (EMED) materials) appear at the end (in boxes 79 through 98).


Islamic Art Archives, 1925-2013 (majority within 1925-28, 1930-1949, 1954-79, 1970-2013)

Over 10,000 photographs and other materials

The Islamic Art Archives is composed of six collections, including those of Mehmet Ağa-Oğlu, Arthur Upham Pope, Donald Newton Wilber, Oleg Grabar, Marianna Shreve Simpson, and the Afghanistan Archaeological Remains Photographs Collection. The collection also includes photographic prints of the pages of the illustrated manuscripts Maqamat and Shah Nama, and additional photographs of Islamic architecture.

The Islamic Art Archives is composed of six collections, including those of Mehmet Ağa-Oğlu, Arthur Upham Pope, Donald Newton Wilber, Oleg Grabar, Marianna Shreve Simpson, and the Afghanistan Archaeological Remains Photograph. The Mehmet Ağa-Oğlu collection documents the Islamic and pre-Islamic art and architecture of the Middle East, Persia, the Caucasus, Western Asia, North Africa, and Southern Spain. Arthur Upham Pope focused primarily on Persian architecture and monuments, but his collection also includes photographs of Persian ceramics, textiles, and illustrated manuscripts. Wilber, Pope's colleague, also primarily studied Iranian monuments but he focused on those built during the Achaemenid and Sasanian empires. Oleg Grabar's work focused on the architecture of the seventh and eighth centuries of the Umayyad dynasty, the architecture of Jerusalem under Islamic rule, Arabic and Persian illustrated manuscripts and ornaments, and contemporary Islamic architecture. On the other hand, the Afghanistan Archaeological Remains Photograph collection depicts Afghanistan sculptures, statues, figural reliefs, pottery, and other archaeological remains, the majority of which are from the Kabul Museum in Afghanistan. Finally, Dr. Simpson's collection documents her work and her notes from her study of Islamic manuscripts around the world. The collection also includes photographic prints of the pages of the illustrated manuscripts Maqamat and Shah Nama.


Interlochen Center for The Arts records, 1927-2005 (majority within 1935-1994)

86.4 linear feet (in 92 boxes) — 51 volumes (scrapbook) — 1 oversize folder — 30.91 GB (online)

Parent organization of the Interlochen Arts Academy and the Interlochen Arts Camp (formerly the National Music Camp) founded by Joseph Maddy. Includes administrative records of the Center, the Academy and the Camp and personal papers of Maddy, photographs, sound recordings, and motion pictures.

The records of the Interlochen Center for the Arts were received in installments over many years. They came from several sources: the Camp office in Ann Arbor, the Tremaine family, an alumni leader, and various administrators at Interlochen, but the greatest proportion was assembled from Maddy's home and Interlochen offices, after his death, by Margaret (Peg) Stace, his long-time assistant.

The Camp files for 1935-1945 comprise the major portion received in their original order, and they were in disarray because of frequent changes in Camp secretaries and the practice of moving the office (along with relevant files) from Ann Arbor to Interlochen and back each summer. Also, Maddy kept many items of a personal and confidential nature at home.

In processing the records, an attempt was made both to preserve the original order, where ascertainable, and to highlight major subjects and individuals, some of whose importance only became apparent with the passage of time. A separate name index is available for major correspondents. Where extant, explanatory historical and background information has been placed at the front of records categories. Because of Maddy's influence on the development of Interlochen both past and present, his correspondence with later administrators has been included if practical, under "Administration" in their papers.

The surviving records have been divided into nine series: Chronological, Subject, Post-Maddy Administrators, Boards, Closed, Printed, Visual Materials, Sound Recordings, and Scrapbooks. The Chronological focuses on Maddy and the Camp until 1966 while the Subject, is composed of two subseries. The first, mainly 1928-1989, though also heavily relating to Maddy, also includes much on developments through the '90s. The second subseries, 1930-2003, Later Acquisition represents a group of files that were acquired in 2005. Many files pertain to the early camp and Joesph Maddy. The Post-Maddy Administrators series begins in the late 1950's when Maddy expanded the staff in anticipation of making Interlochen a year-round institution and continues unto the most recent accession. Boards (governing bodies) starts with the Camp's founding in 1928 and ends in 1989 while the Closed series covers the Maddy, Haas, and Wilson administrations through 1971. Printed offers coverage to the present but is more complete for the early years through the 1980's. While the Visual Materials and Sound Recordings series extend from the 1920's into the 1980's, it offers best coverage from 1924 to 1942 Scrapbooks, with gaps in the early years, documents both Maddy and the Camp, beginning with the National High School Orchestra and ending with the Camp's 50th anniversary celebration in 1978.