John W. Henderson, professor of ophthalmology at the University of Michigan, arrived in Ann Arbor in 1942 as an intern and then resident before joining the faculty in 1948. He was chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology from 1968 to 1978. Henderson’s papers include files relating to his work with the Medical School and University Hospital, among them histories of ophthalmology at the university. Files detailing his work with professional organizations are well represented, notably the Michigan Ophthalmological Society, American Board of Ophthalmology, and American Ophthalmological Society. Also files relating to publications, lectures and presentations.
The John W. Henderson papers date from 1943 to 2001. The papers measure 7.75 linear feet and have been divided into four broad series: Medical School/University Hospital Records, Professional Organizations, Publications, Lectures and Professional Presentations, and Personal.