This single volume notebook contains lecture notes on a variety of topics in library science as studied by Bessie Baldwin Beach, who spent most of her career as a librarian for the Bureau of Indian Affairs at Carlisle and Chilocco Indian Schools in the 1900s and 1910s.
From the address on the cover and the contents within, the notebook dates to Miss Beach's time as a library science student at the Columbian University (Washington, D.C.) from 1897 to 1899. The only three dates denoted are March 23, March 30, and April 8, 1898. Newly founded in October 1897, the library science program (housed in the Corcoran Scientific School) consisted of a four-year curriculum towards a Bachelor's of Science in the discipline. Headed by Ainsworth Rand Spofford, who had just completed his tenure as Librarian of Congress, the department consisted of two other instructors: William P. Cutter and Henderson Presnell. Courses covered a range of library skills including administration, cataloging, reference, as well as a thesis.
Works referenced within the notebook appear to include the following:
- Various definitions and entry on "Accession book:" Dewey, Melvil. Simplified Library School Rules. Boston: Library Bureau, 1898.
- Definition of "Accession book:" Jones, Gardner Maynard. "Accession Department." In Papers Prepared for the World's Library Congress, Held at the Columbian Exposition, ed. Melvil Dewey. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1896, 809-826.
- Entry on "Classification:" Sixteenth Annual Report of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Public Schools for the Year Ending August 1, 1870. St. Louis: Plate, Olshausen, and Co., 1871.
- Entry on "Charging System:" Plummer, Mary Wright. "Loan Systems." In Papers Prepared for the World's Library Congress, Held at the Columbian Exposition, ed. Melvil Dewey. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1896, 898-906.
- Entry on "Card catalog:" Dewey, Melvil, ed. Library Notes: Improved Methods and Labor-Savers for Librarians, Readers, and Writers. Boston: Library Bureau, 1886.
- Entries on "Periodical Literature," "Book buying," "Helps to reading," "Character and Requirements of librarian," "Preparation of books for the shelves," "Accuracy," "Order and System," "Liberal and impartial mind," "Books," "Old book stores," "Pamphlets," and "Library History" : Spofford, Ainsworth Rand. A Book for All Readers: Designed as an Aid to the Collection, Use, and Preservation of Books and the Formation of Public and Private Libraries. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1900.