Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan Records, 1911-2007 (majority within 1940-1995)
Using These Materials
- The record group is open for research.
- Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan.
- The records of Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan document the history of the organization and the family planning services it has provided to Michigan residents. The records are a good source of information on the history of birth control, abortion, sex education, and women’s health issues in the state from the 1930s to the turn of the twenty first century. In addition to the Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan files, the collection includes records documenting the Planned Parenthood Association of Southwestern Michigan and Planned Parenthood of Southeast Michigan, dating from the period before these two organizations merged with Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan. Materials include board minutes and reports, correspondence, organizational handbooks and policy statements, pamphlets, newsletters, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, photographs, and videotapes.
9.75 linear feet
1 oversize folder
- Call Number:
- 85523 Bj 2
- Finding aid prepared by: Bentley Historical Library staff
- Scope and Content:
The Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan record group covers the period of time from the founding of the organization in 1935 through 2007. The history of the organization is documented in this collection. Extensive information about the services offered by Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan can also be found in this collection. These include medical, counseling, and educational activities.
- Biographical / Historical:
The Mother's Clinic, Inc., established in Detroit in 1927, was the first contraceptive clinic opened in Michigan. Shortly thereafter, individuals in other Michigan communities started local committees to disseminate information about contraception. A committee was established in Ann Arbor in 1932, followed by the opening of the Ann Arbor Maternal Health Clinic in 1935. Located in a seven-room house at 738 N. Main Street, its facilities included a living room, examining room, interview room, and lavatory. Dr. Inez Wisdom became the clinic director, an eight member board was organized, and by-laws were adopted. A three hundred dollar gift from the Ann Arbor Community Fund financed the first year of operation. The clinic was open one day a week, and serviced referrals from area health and social agencies.
In 1936, many of the clinic's expenses were covered by the Ann Arbor Community Fund; however, these monies did not pay for services for rural clients. In order to provide these services, the clinic collected donations. In addition to raising funds, a Medical Advisory Board for the Ann Arbor Maternal Health Clinic was also established in 1936.
Heavy use of the clinic's services demonstrated the community's need for organizations devoted to issues of birth control. In 1940, the Maternal Health League of Ann Arbor was incorporated. (The Ann Arbor Maternal Health Clinic was included in the League.) Two years later, the name "Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood, Ann Arbor Chapter" was adopted to comply with changes made by Planned Parenthood at the national and state levels. The remaining years of the 1940s saw developments in publicizing the organization's offerings. A radio series was started as well as the posting of weekly items in the Ann Arbor News. A speaker's bureau and volunteer training program were also established. In 1948, the name of the organization was changed once again to "Michigan League for Planned Parenthood, Washtenaw County".
The 1950s witnessed continued expansion of the programs offered by the Michigan League for Planned Parenthood, Washtenaw County. These included marriage counseling, referral services for infertility cases, and tests for cancer. In 1954, the Michigan League for Planned Parenthood dissolved, leaving the organization affiliated with the National League only; the clinic's name changed to the Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood. In spite of these changes, clinic facilities were improved and the office enlarged. The clinic's patient load increased and clinic hours were extended to accommodate this. Another clinic was established in Ypsilanti.
Increased growth and community acceptance characterized the 1960s at the Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood. The patient load increased from 695 in 1961 to 2,182 in 1968. A study of the Enovide pill was established in 1961 and continued in the following year. In 1964, the clinic's hours of operation were increased and new staff members were hired. During this year, six research projects were in process including a study of the intra-uterine device. The following year, the organization submitted a proposal to the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO) to implement family planning projects using outreach workers. Legislative measures allowing public health and welfare workers to initiate discussion of birth control methods with clients were also passed in 1965. These would greatly shape the clinic's future programs and services. Additionally, the family planning proposal submitted in 1965 to the OEO was approved in 1966.
New programs were also established in the 1970s. The Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood established a youth program in 1972 named "Express Clinic." Express offered youth counseling on sex related topics as well as confidential pregnancy testing, medical services, and referrals. The Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood became the first Planned Parenthood affiliate to offer vasectomy services when it opened the Vasectomy Clinic in June of 1973. The addition of first-trimester abortion services in December of the same year brought changes to the clinic's structure. The number of volunteers working at the clinic was reduced by one-half at this time because of the need for professional staff to service clients seeking abortion services.
The 1980s also witnessed increased programming and major changes to the organization. Recognizing that teenagers receive much of their information about sex through their peers, the Peer Education Program was established in 1981. The goal of this program was to combat misinformation about sex. In 1983, the name of the Washtenaw League for Planned Parenthood changed to Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan (PPMM). The following year, Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan moved to a new building. Although the organization had moved several times since its establishment, this new home was the first that was designed especially for the organization. In 1984, the number of patients served annually numbered 5,203, and educational services were delivered to 8,369 individuals. Groups opposing freedom of choice grew strong in the mid 1980s. As opposition to abortion increased, Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan offered opportunities for the community to explore and discuss this issue. The organization held a forum on the movie "Silent Scream" in 1985. Other activities included discussions focusing on the issues of reproductive freedom and projects to influence legislative protection of reproductive rights. In 1987, Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan experienced its first anti-abortion picket.
The turn of the century saw a period of consolidation among regional chapters of Planned Parenthood. In 1969 the Twin Cities Area Planned Parenthood Association was formed to serve Berrien County, Michigan. As its area of service expanded, its name was changed to Planned Parenthood Association of Southwestern Michigan. This organization had clinics in Niles, South Haven, and Benton Harbor, and worked in cooperation with Country Family Planning clinics throughout Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren Counties. In 1998, Planned Parenthood of Southwestern Michigan merged with Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan to form Planned Parenthood Mid-Michigan Alliance. In 2007, this organization merged with Planned Parenthood of Southeast Michigan, which had served the metropolitan Detroit area since 1922. The newly formed organization was called Planned Parenthood of Mid and South Michigan.
- Acquisition Information:
- The records were deposited in several accessions beginning in 1967 by Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan and its predecessor the Washtenaw County League for Planned Parenthood (donor 4483 ). In 2010, the organization under its new name, Planned Parenthood of Mid and South Michigan (donor no. 10425 ) deposited additional records.
- Additional Descriptive Data:
The library also has records of Planned Parenthood League, Inc. of Detroit. These records date from 1932 to 1979.
Click on terms below to find any related finding aids on this site.
Pro-choice movement -- Michigan.
Demonstrations -- Michigan.
Pro-choice movement -- Michigan.
Pro-life movement -- Michigan.
Planned Parenthood Association of Southwestern Michigan.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan.
Planned Parenthood of Southeast Michigan.
Washtenaw County League for Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Michigan.
Using These Materials
The record group is open for research.
- USE & PERMISSIONS:
Ownership, as well as copyright, remains with Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials.
- PREFERRED CITATION:
item, folder title, box no., Planned Parenthood of Mid-Michigan Records, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan