The University Library system at the University of Michigan provides information resources and services to faculty, students, staff, and the public, and is comprised of undergraduate, graduate, and subject-oriented divisional collections. The record group includes administrative files of library directors, reports, committee files, financial records, photographs, and publications.
The records of the library of the University of Michigan document the development and administration of the central library. The records include topical files, miscellaneous correspondence and reports, and business record books, 1886-1916; include files of librarians/directors/deans Theodore W. Koch, William W. Bishop, Warner G. Rice, Frederick H. Wagman, Richard Dougherty, Robert M. Warner, Don Riggs, William A. Gosling, and Paul Courant; also assorted papers of earlier librarians, Andrew Ten Brook and Raymond C. Davis.
- The records are organized into elleven subgroups:
- Assistant Director for Technical Services, 1984 - 1999
- Associate Director for Public Service Files, 1976 - 1998
- Associate Director for Technical Services, 1979 - 1986
- Associate Director's office, 1982 - 1989
- Audio - Visual Materials, 1954 - 2001
- Collection Development Office, 1949 - 1986
- Deputy Director's Office, 1980 - 1991
- Directors Office, 1905-2013
- Human Resources, 1956 - 2001
- Miscellaneous Records, 1837 - 1985
- Other Offices and Programs, 1904 - 2004