132 linear feet (in 245 boxes)
The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology records document the administration of the museum from its founding in 1929 and the research and field activities of University of Michigan archaeologists and classical scholars dating back to 1890. The material consists of files of Kelsey Museum director's and curator's and University of Michigan scholars closely associated with the museum or active in archaeological work prior to the museum's founding. The papers include extensive correspondence files; field notebooks, maps, photographs, reports, and other research material from archaeological expeditions; drafts of articles and books; teaching material; and administrative records
The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology records have been treated and described here as a single collection divided into a number of subgroups. In the collection guide prepared by the Kelsey Museum, these subgroups were treated as individual collections, each with a separate finding aid and box numbering sequence beginning at one. The largest subgroup by far is the Francis Willey Kelsey papers, totaling 66.5 linear feet. Artifacts from excavations conducted by Kelsey formed the basis of the Museum's collection.
Papers Kelsey Box # Arthur E.R. Boak 1-3 Campbell Bonner 1 Orma Fitch Butler 1-24 Inst. of Archaeological Research 1-7 Thomas Jerome Spencer 1-20 Francis Willey Kelsey 1-156 Kelsey Museum 1-5 Robert H. McDowell 1 Enoch Ernest Peterson 1-8 217-224 Louise Adele Shier 1-9 John Garrett Winter 1 Carthage Excavations 1-15