Publications of the Department of Biological Chemistry including brochures, bulletins, directories, histories, newsletters and reports
The Department of Biological Chemistry Publications are arranged into a single series: Unit Publications.
The Unit Publications series contains printed material published specifically by the Department of Biological Chemistry. These publications are defined as being widely distributed and may be published at regular intervals. They are arranged by genre of the publication.
The Unit Publications include brochures, bulletins, directories, histories, newsletters and reports. The bulletins describe admissions procedures and requirements, course offerings, academic programs, and financial information. The bulletins also list faculty and their research interests. There is usually an informal photograph of the faculty member and a short bibliography. The bulletins cover the period from 1983 to 1991. The Biological Chemistry Department Directory includes laboratory and home information for each faculty, staff member, and student of the department. This series includes one history titled, The Department of Biological Chemistry, 1922-1955, by Adam A. Christman. It is addressed to alumni who were granted their PhDs during those years, and includes a directory, a history, and other information.
There were several newsletter titles issued by the department from 1973 to the present. These include the Newsletter to University of Michigan Biochemists issued from 1973 to 1981, the Biochemistry Newsletter printed from 1982 to 1997, the Biological Chemistry Newsletter circulated from 1998 to 2000, and the Department of Biological Chemistry Newsletter published from 2001 to the present. All of these newsletters include information on the faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the Department of Biological Chemistry.
The reports include abstracts of the 2000 Annual Retreat presentations, which highlight the research done by the department's faculty and students. Researchers will also find the external review of the department completed in 1983. This report provides an excellent view of the department during the early 1980s.
For the early history of the department, researchers may wish to consult the papers of Frederick Novy, also held at the Bentley.