The Kelblaugh subseries of the Dean's Correspondence series, 1999-2008 (2.5 linear feet and 1.8 GB) is comprised of Dean Douglas S. Kelbaugh's correspondence. The files in this series are organized chronologically. The first folder in the series is dated January 1999; the dates on the files then jump ahead several months and are dated from June 1999 to June 2007. Included are letters and e-mails between the dean's office, and the faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. There are also some letters and e-mails with other faculty and administrators at the University of Michigan, as well as correspondence with faculty and administrators from other universities. Although there are some printed e-mails included in the collection, a more complete record of Dean Kelbaugh's e-mail correspondence may be found digitally.
Dean Kelbaugh's e-mail correspondence series (1.8 GB; 22,438 files) contains messages from Dean Kelbaugh's sent-mail directory dating from November 18, 2003 to August 2, 2008. The messages were originally arranged in reverse chronological order, and this order was maintained upon transfer to the Bentley. Correspondence in the series includes discussion on North Campus planning issues, the addition to the Art and Architecture building, development of the design charrette program, planning for the establishment of a Detroit Center, and Ann Arbor city planning developments such as Lowertown. There are also a number of messages regarding faculty recruitment and retention. During processing of the series no messages were deleted or weeded, therefore several instances of routine correspondence are also included. The series is an excellent example of the discourse maintained by Kelbaugh with colleagues in the architecture and urban planning field, as well as his attentive communication with administrators, faculty, and staff at the University of Michigan. Given the sensitive nature of some of this material, access is restricted in accordance with University policies. Each message is a separate file.
1.8 GB — 22,438 digital files
The Administrative Files series (12 linear feet) is comprised of the following subseries: William Werner, Development, and Personnel, Program Chair, and Associate Deans.
The Development subseries includes resources on funds and fellowships, significant alumni, and fund raising projects. Boxes 36-37 and box 54 include materials dated between 1974 and 2001. The subseries is organized in two alphabetical files, reflecting multiple accessions. A 1996 promotional CD-Rom created by Lee Liming highlights the college in an on-line tour of North Campus, presents staff in classroom settings, profiles students, and focuses on research current at the time. The Development subseries also includes a number of folders relating to the A. Alfred Taubman endowment that led to the school adopting its current name. While most of the material documents the event celebrating the receipt of the gift and the renaming, files also include strategic planning documents and the proposal created for Mr. Taubman outlining proposed uses for the endowment.
Box 64 contains materials dated 1987-2006 and includes folders relating to alumni and fundraising events, and individual donors. The files also contain materials on the Capital Campaign, including Capital Campaign Advisory Committee (CAC) meetings.
The Photographs series (4 linear feet) include a wonderful group of images, many taken by Emil Lorch in 1926, documenting the construction of the Architecture and Design building that was named in his honor. There are also photographs of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion Dome. Fuller assembled the dome with the help of a design class in 1954. There is a set of very fine black and white photographs of faculty mounted on boards that were part of a 1968 exhibit entitled, "Faculty Exhibit Work." There is also a set of copy negatives produced from an equally fine set of undated faculty portraits. (The portraits were photographed because they could not safely be removed from large, heavy boards.) Also included in the series is a zip disk holding digital versions of images reproduced in Nancy Bartlett's history of the college, More Than a Handsome Box. An oversized box of photographs holds a striking Emil Lorch portrait; class of 1927 reunion snapshots; and several beautiful large photographs of Lorch Hall.